script src='http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.js' type='text/javascript'/>

Monday, July 13, 2015

Worry Wart

I was warned by other mothers, but I didn't fully believe them.  "You'll always be worrying about something, just wait!", or "Even when they're adults, living in their own place, you'll worry."  My response was usually something like "Ya, ok..."  When you're pregnant, you think you have everything down pat, including how you'll act, how you'll be as a mother and how you'll handle yourself in different situations.  "I won't worry, unless I REALLY need to worry..." is what I thought.  That's just bologna!  I like to think that I am a fairly calm mother (my husband may beg to differ).  I am pretty good at staying calm, cool and collected when K is grumpy, when he won't sleep, etc.  However, I have been quite the worry wart in the following scenarios (I know that this is only the beginning of my worrying, so really this is an ongoing, forever growing list):

1. I thought K couldn't hear around the age of 6-7 months.  Turns out he was just distracted by whatever he was doing and he'd rather focus on that than turning around when he heard my voice.  He was probably thinking "Ya, ya, you narrate what you do all day.  I'm tuning you out, mommy!"

*Side note - I do actually narrate what I do every day.  More on that in a future post!

2. K took a long time to start army crawling and for a while wouldn't even bother trying.  Turns out, he was just lazy.

3. For the first few months, K would barely smile and I thought "Oh my God, he'll never smile.  He'll be the most serious baby!  It doesn't make sense!  His parents are never serious!"  Now, all he does is smile and laugh.

4. We were hoping and praying that K would just sleep through the night, and when he finally did, I didn't sleep.  I checked for signs of life every hour...  AT LEAST!  Poking him, putting my head against his chest, sticking my fingers near/in his mouth.  After my "life checks", I would lay wide awake in bed, waiting for him to snore (which he does... He really, really does!), sigh, or whimper.

5.  RASHES!  K had a rash, and it was all I can think about.  He would fight me, roll around, push me away, as I constantly inspected it and looked for signs of it improving or getting worse.  Turns out, it's a heat rash, just like the ones I sometimes get when it's so stinkin' hot outside!

I hope I'm not alone when I say that sometimes when I worry about something, it consumes not only my mind, but my entire body.  I sometimes feel like I can't do ANYTHING, but just lay down like a big pile of mush and drown in my worries.  I can't think of anything else!

A PERFECT example of me worrying.  I think he has a fever (he doesn't, it's just hot out) and I'm worrying that one of the thermometers isn't working properly. 

S

No comments:

Post a Comment