script src='http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.js' type='text/javascript'/>

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Top 8 struggles so far as a mommy

Although it has been an absolutely amazing first 9 months of motherhood, I can't deny those moments where I really find myself struggling, whether it be emotionally, mentally or physically.

I hope that some of you mommies out there can relate to the following struggles I have had since becoming a mother.

8) Looking in the mirror:  Don't worry, I do feel proud of my body for what it has so amazingly done, since I found out I was pregnant.  What our bodies go through during and after pregnancy is intense, and getting through all of that is definitely an achievement.  We created life, man!  However, I can't help but sometimes look in the mirror and feel discouraged, and long for my pre-baby body.  Having been a runner for the past few years, I was used to looking at myself and thinking "Damn, girl!" every now and then.  I try to tell myself every day that the body I now have is the body of a hard working, dedicated, happy, loving mother.

7) Letting go of routine: We have somewhat of a routine established with K these days.  Although, let's be honest, I can't say "K naps at 9am and wakes up at 10am".  I can, however, say "K naps some time between 8:45am and 9:30am, and wakes up between 9:15 and 10:30".  Nonetheless, he has some sort of a routine.  The struggle here is letting myself go places and do things that will mess around with this routine, and not feeling so gosh darn guilty about it.  Sometimes I stop myself from doing certain things, because "I don't want to mess up his nap schedule".  Mommas get cabin fever!  Get out and do something, and baby's schedule for the day will fall into place.

You'd think a ninja would need longer naps!
6) Short naps: I know I'm not the only one who has an "AHHHHHH" moment when I hear my little one wake up from his nap after 15 minutes.  As soon as you get started on some sort of task, the baby monitor, with which you have a love/hate relationship, lets out this adorable little moan or whimper.  Despite how adorable those wake up sounds are, I still go "NOOOOOOOOO!".

5) Wanting to sleep the day away, but not being able to:  Need I say more about this one?!

4) Talking to myself: As you have already read in one of my previous posts, I often either talk to myself, or the squirrel outside my window, who visits me every so often.  Sometimes I feel like I belong in the loony bin!  I always make sure that I have at least one day a week where I get together with a mommy friend, in order to have social time.  I have to, or my husband may not come home, in fear of my pent up energy and desire to talk.  Or, he will come into the house like Cesar Millan tells dog owners to do "No touch, no talk, no eye contact."

3) The feeling of constantly cleaning:  K is only eating solids three times a day right now and is BF the rest of the time.  What the heck am I going to do when he's eating 5-6 times a day?!!!

2) Projects taking longer: My husband and I don't mess around when it comes to projects like home renos.  Once, we installed new flooring in our entire main level in one weekend.  We don't stop until we are done, and that's always been how we've been and how we like it!  The "go big or go home" approach to our projects doesn't work as well anymore, since we try and power through as much as possible during K's nap time.  We are learning to cope, and I must say, it is forcing to just slow down, appreciate our time together as a family, and pay more attention to detail when we working.

1) Visits: My husband and I are home bodies.  We love staying home, tinkering around the yard, reading, doing art (mostly him), watching movies, doing little projects, sitting on our deck with a coffee (or sometimes wine/beer) and chatting, etc.  This was never an issue, until K came along and everyone wanted to see him.  Of course, it's normal for family and friends to want to see such a perfect little bundle of joy (we're not biased), and we love our family to death.  We realize it comes with the territory of being a new parent, but I'm sure you know that it takes some adjustment, as well as discipline to ensure that, for our sanity, we still find some balance between visiting and home time, just us 3.


Despite the occasional struggles, having K is actually the best thing my hubby and I have ever, ever, EVER done!  But let's be honest, it's not all unicorns and rainbows!

S


No comments:

Post a Comment